1878 - Bicycle Touring Club founded at Harrogate on 5 Aug by Stanley Cotterell and 80 members elected.
1880 - First lady member (Mrs W. D. Welford) is admitted.
1883 - Organization re-titled 'Cyclists' Touring Club'.
1884 - 'Danger' road signs produced (at first jointly with National Cyclists' Union) mainly to warn of steep hills and down not up, due to the poor brakes of early bicycles.
1885 - Richmond Park and Regents Park are the first of several royal parks opened to cyclists as a result of CTC action.
1886 - Life Membership scheme inaugurated. New badge (CTC wheel and wings) adopted.
1887 - Hotel signs adopted: those massive cast-iron winged wheels that may still be seen on the walls of old pubs etc. throughout the British Isles.
1888 - Local Government Act declared cycles to be 'carriages' with right to use the roads as a result of CTC action.
1910 - HM King George V became first Royal Patron of CTC.
1934 - Defence Fund instituted. First 'Steep Hill' signs provided by CTC.
1936 - King George VI became Patron.
1950 - CTC obtained removal of clause in Wolverhampton Corporation Bill which sought power to control cyclists' use of local roads.
1952 - HM Queen Elizabeth II became Patron.
1968 - Right to cycle on bridleways and long-distance cross-country routes incorporated in new Countryside Act, largely through CTC action.
1977 - Cycles carried free (with certain exceptions) on trains after 99 years of sustained CTC effort.
1980 - CTC Route Guide to Cycling in Britain & Ireland' published.
1996 - CTC plays an instrumental role in developing the National Cycling Strategy.
2001 - The club sets up the Cyclists' Defence Fund to fight for cyclists' rights in the courts.
2011 - CTC becomes a charity in Scotland.
2012 - CTC becomes a charity in England and Wales.
2014 - CTC successfully campaigns for the Secretary of State for Transport to set out a strategy for cycling and walking infrastructure, and, by law, provide the funding required to meet it.
2016 - CTC is rebranded to Cycling UK.