Membership Frequently Asked Questions
Membership Frequently Asked Questions
How do I create an online account and log into the website?
- You will need to log into the website to order a new membership card, renew your membership, change your preferences, or to view member-only codes for retailer and partner discounts.
- First, you will need to create an online account.
- If you already have an account, you can log in using this link, or click the orange rectangle icon on the top right of your screen.
- If you do not have an account, you will need to create one using the same link, or by clicking the orange rectangle icon on the top right of your screen. Click 'Create new account' to start the process.
- You can only use the 'Request new password' button if you have previously created an account and submitted a password.
- Membership runs for one year from the date of joining (with the exceptions of 5 for 4 years, 14 for 12 months, or 3-month trial memberships).
- You will receive a Welcome email and temporary paper membership card within 24 hours.
Membership types and rates
- Please see our page on Membership Types for current information including concessionary rates and what’s included in your membership.
- If you are a Group or Club, visit the Joining your Group page.
Cancellation and refunds:
We are sorry to see you go, but if you do wish to cancel your membership, here are some frequently asked questions. Please remember that we are an independent charity and are heavily reliant on membership subscriptions, donations and the goodwill of our members to continue our campaigning and project work across the UK.
How do I cancel my membership? Can I get a refund?
- If you wish to cancel your membership, please notify Cycling UK by email or telephone.
- A 14-day money back guarantee is offered to all new/renewing members should you for any reason wish to terminate your membership within 14 days of your join date, or renewal date.
- After 14-days: we do not usually issue refunds.
- This also applies to 5 years for the price of 4 memberships.
- There are no refunds available on life memberships.
- The liability insurance policy which is included in our membership package is not refundable. A claim could come in against a liability policy for a number of years after the policy has finished, and the policy that was in force at the time of the incident would still respond. This is three years for any injury and six years for damage to property.
Changing membership types:
I am eligible for the discounted senior membership rate but my membership has been automatically renewed at the adult rate. Can I get a refund?
- If a member has not given Cycling UK their date of birth upon joining, or prior to the renewal date, then they will automatically be charged at the full adult rate at join/renewal. We would not usually issue a refund once the payment has been made for the membership term.
My circumstances have changed during my year of membership. Can I switch membership type?
- If you would like to upgrade your membership – for example, switch from Individual to Household membership and add on additional family members; or change from Affiliated to Full Individual Membership – please contact the membership team who will be able to make the changes pro-rata for the remainder of the year.
- We don’t usually offer downgrades to memberships for example, changing from full individual to student membership. You may change membership types at renewal, if you are eligible. Please inform the membership team of any required changes as soon as possible, as your renewal invitation letter will be generated several weeks before your renewal date.
I am currently injured and am unable to ride. Can I pause my membership until I’m back on my bike?
- Unfortunately we are unable to stop / start memberships during the membership period.
Renewing and lapsed memberships
- All members receive a renewal invitation letter and new membership card between 4-6 weeks before the end of their membership period. Your new membership card needs to be activated before it is valid.
- If you are on direct debit, you do not need to do anything. Your membership will continue and your new card is valid.
- If you are not on direct debit, you need to make a payment to renew your membership and activate your membership card. The easiest way to do this is to renew online. Find out more on the different ways you can renew.
- Direct Debit guarantee.
- Your benefits, including third-party liability insurance and access to the legal incident helpline will end on your membership expiry date.
- Cycling UK will send you a number of renewal reminders. You have a period of two months in which to renew. After this, your membership will lapse and you will need to join up again as a new member. You will lose your original joining date and will also not have been covered by our benefits during the period in-between memberships (note that a claim could be made against a liability policy for a number of years after your policy has ended).
- Please ensure that you do renew on time to avoid the extra administration and costs of starting a new membership.
I have lost my membership card – how can I get a replacement?
- You can request a new card online when logging into your account.
- We will replace your card for free, but please do consider a donation to cover production and administration costs.
- If you still hold a CTC card, we recommended that you change to a Cycling UK card, as some partners may not recognise the older style. You can upgrade your card for free.
- Replacement cards can take up to 4 weeks to arrive.
Promotional gifts, offers and competitions:
Do I qualify for the 14 months for 12 annual direct debit offer if I’m already a member, but currently paying by a different method?
- The 14 months for 12 direct debit offer is available to new annual direct debit payers, or those who have not had an annual direct debit with Cycling UK for at least three years.
- For terms and conditions relating to specific offers, please visit the relevant promotional web page.
- Joining gifts are only available to new members (including the recipients of gift memberships), or those who have not taken out a membership with Cycling UK in the last three years.
- Affiliated individual membership (including gift affiliated individual memberships) are excluded from joining gift offers.
- Cycling UK staff are not obliged to give out codes/URLs by email or over the phone if an individual has misplaced / forgotten this information. We run several promotions throughout the year so new offers are advertised regularly.
- If a promotion has a specified end date, the code or URL can no longer be applied once this date has passed. If there is no end date quoted, please contact the membership team if you are unsure whether an offer is still valid.
Retailer/ show discounts and offers
- The terms of our member benefits offers are set by our individual partners. Please see specific details on the member benefits web pages here.
- To view member-only codes and vouchers, you will need to log into the website. Please see the first FAQ above for instructions on how to set up an online account.
Cycle Activity Provider (CAP) Insurance
- CAP insurance is purchased as an annual product so unlike membership, cannot be paid for by monthly direct debit.
- CAP insurance is non-refundable if cancelled partway through the year.
- Only full individual members are eligible for the discounted CAP insurance rate.