Mountain Bike Trail Leader
This course will equip you to:
- Lead groups of adults, young people and children on rides
- Manage groups with a range of riding experience
- Prepare for rides, anticipate and minimise safety factors
- Develop and apply risk assessments, operating procedures and dynamic risk management
- Provide fun, engaging and developmental sessions for your participants
- Understand access rights across the UK and beyond
- Complete and review rides, using self-reflective principles
Mountain biking is one of the most accessible, enjoyable introductions to group cycling. Cycling UK's Mountain Bike Leader course enables you to lead groups on gentle terrain less than 600m above sea level and without the need for riders to steer a path around obstacles.
The course includes tuition for your own off-road skills, and assessment of your new-found skills.
Please note: During the course you may ride at a level above that of Trail level terrain.
- At least one year's experience of regular riding in easy off-road terrain - a minimum of 30 rides.
- Comfortably ride in Red Terrain.
- Have ridden in poor weather.
- Logbook of rides.
- Ability to ride 16km in Off Road terrain.
- 16 Hour Outdoor First Aid Course.
- Minimum age 18
After achieving the Mountain Bike Leader award, your next step may be to consider becoming an Advanced Mountain Bike Leader - enabling you to lead rides in more challenging terrain of the Expedition Mountain Bike Leader: Expedition Moduleor Night ride module Mountain Bike Leader - Night Ride Modulewhich are designed to extend the remit of your current awardsA new award has been developed with the European organisation of Mountain Bike Instructors - Guides (E0-MTBInG) and in association with the Association of British Mountainbike Guides - http://www.a-bmg.co.uk/
Cycling UK has mapped across the awards together with MIAS, MBCUK to develop a European Licence for MTB Guides.
Expedition Module - New for 2017. This module covers all aspects of multi day riding.
1 Day First Aid in the Outdoors.
2 Day First Aid in the Outdoors. This course meets the requirements of a number of National Governing bodies including MLTE.
Both courses have been developed with cyclists in mind.
Please see the Course Calendar for more information.